Uniform and Standards of Appearance
Please find at the footer of this page our DRAFT uniform policy for students joining us in September 2021, which is due to be finalised by the end of April 2021. This is provided to give parents some idea of the likely uniform requirements.
We want our pupils to wear their uniform professionally, correctly and with pride. We have received samples of all items now from our intended suppliers and they are just in the stages of making final tweaks based on our feedback.
Houlton’s uniform will be a traditional style, but suitable for a C21st school. The uniform has been designed to be gender neutral, whilst ensuring that there are cuts available in items to better fit male and female proportions and that there are appropriate choices for pupils.
Please refer to the policy document at the footer of this page for full dress code details, but in summary, our 11-16 daywear uniform will consist of:
- Grey contemporary style logo blazer (two cuts available);
- Optional grey Houlton School logo pullover (unisex)*;
- Grey contemporary style logo trousers (two cuts available – must be at ankle-length and not modified to capri or similar styles) or
- Tartan kilt-style logo skirt, which, if worn, must be worn on or below the knee; any pupil not wearing the skirt at the specified length will lose the privilege of wearing it and will be required to wear our contemporary logo trousers instead;
- Optional summer term grey contemporary style logo shorts (two cuts available – summer only to be determined each year by formal announcement from the Principal);
- Plain white, shirt/blouse (must be suitable for wearing a tie);
- Houlton School tartan tie (clip-on style available in different lengths);
- Apron suitable for practical lessons;
- Plain, dark (black or grey) ankle socks or black, opaque tights;
- Plain black leather or leather-look formal school shoes – no canvas. trainer, or ‘trainer-style’ shoes/logos are acceptable;
- One, plain (no gem-stones) stud earring per ear – no other jewellery (see policy for full details);
- High-fashion hair styles (including skin-fades), colours, or extreme styles are not acceptable (see policy for full details).
- Pupils with hair long enough to be tied back must wear this tied-back with a plain band whilst on campus at all times, including during practical lessons.
- Black, dark grey or navy coat only with no large/designer logos;
- Hooded-style tops are not permitted at any time (except the Houlton hooded top for PE lessons only)./
- A scarf / gloves / winter hat is permitted during the winter months but must be removed in all buildings.
- Pupils wearing a Hijab/turban or other item of clothing relating to religious observance must ensure that it is either black or grey in colour. Full face coverings are not appropriate for wear in school.
- All pupils should have a suitable bag for their essential daily equipment.
- Eye brows should be natural, not drawn on or with any razor indents.
- False or acrylic nails are not permitted.
- Any nail varnish worn must be clear.
- Make-up must be natural in appearance and used only for the purposes of covering blemishes. Fashion make-up is not acceptable.
- Eye make–up, lipstick, bronzing or highlighters are not permitted.
Pupils arriving at school with inappropriate cosmetics/hair will be asked to rectify this prior to attending lessons and may be withdrawn from circulation until they have been able to do so.
Our Indoor PE core uniform consists of:
- Houlton School logo PE top (unisex);
- Houlton School logo PE shorts (unisex);
- White, sports ankle socks;
- Pumps or indoor trainers – see full policy.
Our Outdoor Games core uniform consists of:
- Houlton School logo PE top (unisex – same as above);
- Houlton School logo PE shorts (unisex – same as above);
- Houlton School jade outdoor games socks;
- Suitable outdoor training footwear – see full policy;
- Rugby/Football boots and gum-shield (you will be advised when these are needed);
- Houlton School logo winter tracksuit (bottoms);
- Houlton School logo mid-layer (top);
- Houlton School logo winter outer-layer hooded style (top);
- Houlton School logo base-layer for Football/Rugby/Dance (top);
- Houlton School logo base-layer for Football/Rugby/Dance (bottoms).
Gum shields must be worn for rugby – shoes or boots worn for outdoor games may not be worn indoors and vice-versa.
Deodorising products must be roll-on. Sprays of any kind are strictly forbidden as some students have allergies/asthma: spraying of these products is dangerous and potentially fatal.
*Whilst this is an optional item, no other pullovers, hooded tops or additional items will be allowed on campus, so if your child is likely to be cold, this is an advisable item.
**If worn, these items must be Houlton School items. Designer/alternative items are not acceptable.
We will be working with photographers to get pictures of the items available during the summer term and our local supplier will be Webb Ellis, Rugby.
The provisional price list for our uniform is available here: Houlton Price List – Provisional.
Please note that for the most up to date pricing, you should contact Webb Ellis directly on 01788 567777 / e-mail: email@example.com for information about when stock will be available and any early bird/budget planning packages that may be available. We will update our website regularly as new information becomes available.
Where any differences emerge between the text on this page and the formal policy document (below), the policy is the definitive guide for families.
The Sixth-Form dress code is detailed within our formal policy, below.